cPanel is the most popular Linux based web hosting control panel. It’s a commercial control panel. You have to pay for it. It provides a graphical user interface to easily manage and host multiple websites on a single VPS or dedicated server. With the help of it’s powerful GUI we can easily perform most of the tasks we perform on a website’s server using command line, for example, uploading files, creating emails, setting cron jobs, handling databases, etc. WHM (Web Host Manager) provides a root and reseller level access interface where user can manage settings related to server administration and account management. cPanel provides a user level access interface where user can manage their web hostings.
Features of cPanel/WHM
- Intuitive and powerful GUI to control your server with WHM.
- Now supports EV Certificates.
- Supports API Authentication Tokens.
- Now offers AutoSSL supporting Proxy Subdomains.
- Enables you to view SSL Status in cPanel.
- Supports operations such as Backups, Migrations and restorations in a very easy and smooth manner.
- Supports excellent DNS and mail server management for main server and as well as client account.
- Supports management (start/stop/enable/disable) of services on server.
- Enables you to configure SSL/TLS for all server services and client domains.
- Easy integration with Phpmyadmin manage your MySQL databases from web browser.
- Supports rebranding.
- Allows integration with WHMCS to automate billing management and so much more.
In this article, we will describe how to install cPanel and WHM on RHEL/CentOS 7 and cover initial configurations to manage cPanel and WHM.
- A clean fresh installation of CentOS 7 linux server.
- Minimum of 1 GB RAM (but 2 GB recommended).
- At least 20GB of free disk space (but 40 GB recommended).
- Root access to your server.
Installation of cPanel in CentOS 7
1. First set a valid hostname.
# hostname server.domain.com
2. Update the system.
# yum update
3. Run the following command to start the installation.
# cd /home && curl -o latest -L https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/latest && sh latest
Wait until finished the installation. This can take up to an hour. Depends on your server and network speed.
4. After finishing the installation browse WHM panel & finish the setup wizard.